Flower88
Flower88 asks:
Q:

Is this just a two year old or more serious issue like ADHD or autism?

My boyfriend has a little boy who is 2 and 6 months and I have a little girl who has just turned 3. We have been together 7 months! I don't know if I am looking into this too much but his little boy is always hitting and has been really aggressive towards my daughter, such as hitting, kicking, screaming and shouting in her face. She will just be playing and he will just go over and smack her or go over in her face and just shout really loud! He can barely talk. He is really destructive and I don't know if he is just behind for his age or if there is a bigger problem! He will cling onto one toy all day and no one is allowed to touch it, he is not cuddly. Halloween he wouldn't put on fancy dress, he just kicked and screamed and same again with parties he won't wear fancy dress and he hates his head being touched! He didn't know animal noises, he can't count and doesn't know any colors! I am actually really worried about him and don't know how to go about the situation as I am not his mother so should I bring it up? What do I do? Should I be concerned?
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness, Special needs, ADHD & attention issues

|

Have his dad take him to his pediatrician.  this is developmental delay and the family uprooting may have something to do with it.  The pediatrician can review his history of delayed language and behavior and make suggestions. Yes, I would be concerned; however he may need time in a structured play group, with his mom if she is available, and he needs to be read to to develop language skills.  Start with his doctor.

0
0

queenbee11177
queenbee11177 writes:
I have 2 autistic children, and to be honest with you, yes it sounds like autism. My son does all those things and he is 4. He we diagnosed when he was 2. I do agree that taking your son to see a pediatrician would be a good first step. It could be many other things as well. If the diagnosis is autism I would start with therapy asap, the younger you can start the better. Good luck! :)

1
0
JamielaIsmail
JamielaIsmail , Teacher writes:
Yes there is a need to be concerned. This also sounds like the terrible 2 stage. However, perhaps some discipline issues need to be addressed as well. There is nothing like sound stern talking to and together with his dad, draw up a behavior chart so that he can at the start know what is acceptable behavior and what is not. He also sounds as if he has sensory issues - have him seen by an occupational therapist for this. I also agree that he needs to be seen by the pediatrician. It is important that both you and your boyfriend handle him in the same manner. I wish you well.

0
0
Lalysa
Lalysa , Parent writes:
Please bring it up the child is screaming for help.  You might be the answer he wants to play with your daughter but does not know how, he does not have verbal skills to say let's play, or does not know how to play.  Holding on to his toy is his security, his safe place.  He is possibly just a child who has to be taught the skills that we take for granted.  Early intervention is the best such as speech, social skills, vision therapy.  
If you need a little help try to go to a school website to learn the different types of delays.  www.parishschool.org

1
0
Anonymous