Anonymous
Q:

My two & half year son does not pay attention to anyone . He has not yet started to talk. he seems to live in his own world. What can we do?

Whenever being called he does not answer. He does not stay in one place for more than a minute and always running everywhere always changing his play toys. He understand everything we say but does not care to communicate or respond. He just go to what he wants and take it but never asks even if he is hungry .Never considers anything for himself.
In Topics: Communicating with my child (The tough talks)

|

I can feel your worry via your question.  First, please talk with the child's physician.  Ask for a hearing evaluation to make sure that he does not have any hearing difficulties.

Second, please contact your local school district and ask for the early childhood intervention team to meet with you and discuss an observation and  possible evaluation for your son. You can contact them year round. You can get the phone number by simply calling your school districts main phone number.  Remember to document all phone calls and also it is best if you send requests in writing, as well.  If he qualifies for any intervention by the school district then that can be started while he is still two.

Louise S.

0
0

lravidlearner
lravidlearner , Teacher, Parent writes:
Please take him to your pediatrician immediately, if you haven't already.  I have seen several children with the behaviors you describe.  There are several conditions that can cause these behaviors.  Your pediatrician is the best person to help you find the cause(s) and refer your son for treatment, if needed.

1
0
moni123
moni123 writes:
Hi, I'm a mother of three children, ages 2, 4, and 5.  My oldest son who is now 5 behaved like you describe your child's behavior.  I took him for a speech/development testing center (call the school board and find out your county's IEP - individualized educational plan center).  They recommended speech therapy, and physical therapy.  Within 2 months he was discharged from physical therapy.  Until today he attends an elementary school for speech therapy (free of charge).  He now knows how to write and read basic words, and his speech is as good as any other 5 year old.   Good luck.

0
0
ilovechefwilliam
ilovechefwi... , Teacher, Caregiver writes:
I agree with what was said before.  Take your child to the pediatrician.  They can at least point you in the right direction to what you should do next.

0
0
raniya215
raniya215 writes:
HE'S JUST NOT READY YET.HE WILL LISTEN IN DO TIME.

0
0
raniya215
raniya215 writes:
HE NEEDS STRUCTURE TIME.

0
0
jkjkjkjk
jkjkjkjk writes:
I have the same problem with my 2 and half year old son. I am setting up an appointment with pediatrician. Is your problem resolved? Did you take any steps other than visiting the doc.

0
0