AmandaBush78
AmandaBush78 asks:
Q:

Why can't my nine year old son get along with his peers?

My son is nine years old and has had issues with being bullied at school for at least three years now.  I am a teacher and actually had my son as a student and saw many incidences of bullying toward my son first hand.  I have had meeting after meeting at school to try and resolve the issue and nothing seems to be helping.  Another student told the school counselor that my son fibs a lot and I notice that he likes to argue and now he seems to be becoming a "know it all". He also has sensory issues and tends to be a little bit hyper or super sensitive to what kids are saying and doing around him.  I am just so frustrated and the behaviors he is displaying just seem to be getting worse.  Oh yes, he also licks his lips and his whole face gets all chapped only when he is at school.  I just feel there is more going on with him than I can deal with anymore and I feel like he really needs some professional help.  Another thing I am now noticing as well is that his boy cousins that are his age are also ganging up and being mean to him, which I have also seen first hand.  This is why I am beginning to think it is him that is the problem, not the other kids.......please help!!!!!!

|

It's great that you have had the opportunity to observe your son first hand and as a result have an awareness of how he interacts with others.  There are several options that you can take. The first is to talk about and and address these issues with him at home and see if by being honest and "teaching" to his behaviors consistently that you see an improvement. The second option is talk to his pediatrician who might be able to provide some insight into any potential medical issues. Then finally you should consider speaking to someone at his school about any help they can provide including counseling referrals or possible testing options. It is so difficult to see a child's imperfections, but if you are aware and willing to intervene, you can set him on a better track for the future.

0
0