How to get my nine year old son tested for a learning disability? How to connect former school and new school to get my son help?

"Hello, My son has moved from San Antonio to Arlington with his father. I'm looking for a school that I may get my son tested. He just turn 9 this June. He is well below average. He passed to the 2nd grade with low scores. I would like to know how to connect schools or doctor to get my son help. Thank you."

Asked by Melissa via email.
In Topics: Choosing a school, Learning issues and special needs, My Relationship with my child's school
> 60 days ago



Jun 30, 2010
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

There are a couple ways to go about getting your son tested.
You could begin with your doctor and ask him to give you referrals to private psychologists who do testing.  It is possible that your insurance might cover some of the cost of the testing.  To determine that you would need to talk to a representative of your insurance company.  And you might want to do that first in order to know what your share of the cost, if any, could be.

Another option is to contact the special services or special education department in your son's new school.  If you do not yet know what school he will be attending, you might contact the superintendent's office in Arlington and ask what the procedure is in your district for testing a student.  Some school districts have protocol's in place for deciding which students to test in order to determine whether the child has a learning disability.

Some school districts make it a point to help facilitate a comfortable transition and adjustment for their students who are transferring to other schools, and other districts. Thus another possible option is to have the principal or guidance staff or teacher from your son's school in San Antonio speak to the principal or teacher at the new school and discuss any testing measures that might have been done in San Antonio, as well as to discuss factors contributing to your son's being below average.

Whatever you decide to do, it is a good idea to see if you can get the new district or school connected to the old district or school.  Let them talk about what will be best for your little boy in 2nd grade.

I wish you the best of luck.

Bette J. Freedson, LICSW, LCSW, CGP
Clinical Social Worker
JustAsk Expert
Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely