olskool
olskool asks:
Q:

How to get my five year old to stop talking so much in class?

My son loves to talk. He is very smart and intelligent. His grades are outstanding. For the past 2-3 months now he has been coming home with bad marks on his calender for talking. I have met with the teacher, visited his class, small punishments (no TV, no toy's, no playtime with friends, early bedtime, just talking) you name it we did it! What else can we do? I think the teacher is suggesting that he needs medication.
Member Added on Feb 9, 2011
Everything is great at home. We don't have any problems at home and he follows all directions at home. He is not moving around a lot at home. His grades are excellent.
In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

How are your son's behaviors at home?  Is he easily distracted?  Fidgety?  Impulsive? Doe he lose things easily?  What do his teachers say?  In addition to talking, does he fail to complete assignments?  Does he interrupt class?

You may want to talk with your son's regular health care provider about your son's behaviors.  He or she will be able to evaluate your son and give you a good advice about how to help him to progress academically.

Bet regards.
0
0

britpenn
britpenn writes:
I teach second grade, and when I have bright students who finish early then get talkative I make them "challenge workbooks" full of above grade level activities that they can do independently.  I include math worksheets, logic puzzles, sudoku, etc.  Those things would be too challenging for a five-year-old, but perhaps you could find a workbook at a bookstore, Wal-Mart, or a teacher-supply store (Lakeshore Learning and Education Direct are examples) that has age-appropriate activities he would enjoy.  If you find something, ask his teacher if it would be alright for you to send it to work on when he finishes.  Hopefully that would help him direct his energy in a positive way.

2
0