MillsMomma0708
MillsMomma0... , Parent asks:
Q:

My one year old wont keep her pamper on. Should I start the potty training process?

My one year old REFUSES to stay pampered. I've tried taping the pamper, but she's figured out how to get the tape off! She tells me when she is stinky, but it is usually after the fact. She will keep on the big girl underwear, but, as can be expected, accidents are a constant. I don't know what to do anymore. I know its really early to start potty training, but I am soooo lost. Any suggestions on what to do? PLZ!!! Also, my two year old is semi-interested in potty training. Is it too soon to start her?
In Topics: Potty Training

|

A few milestones need to be reached before potty training can be successful: a child needs to be able to sit for 5-10 minutes, be aware of needing to go to the bathroom before it happens, and be able to pull the pants down and up.  Also, a child needs to be interested in what's going on when parents or siblings go to the bathroom.

Age 1 year sounds to be a little to early to start potty training.  However, children develop at different rates.  Some of my patients were successfully potty trained at age 10 months!  The digestive system is mostly active after meals, so let your child sit on the potty after meals.  If the session is successful, make a big deal of it.  The positive reinforcement will make your child proud and willing to repeat the behavior that gave her positive attention from mom.  If she is not interested in the potty, forget it for a week or two, and try it again.

In the mean time, since wearing underwear seems to be such a big deal to your daughter, instead of wearing a diaper, try a pull-up!  

Please read this article about potty training:

http://pluggedinparents.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=284&Itemid=0

2
0

angeliquedeberg
angeliquede... writes:
This is not to soon. My boy was walking without nappies with 14 months. Each kid is different :) One thing: if you decide to start potty training, never use pampers anymore. Take 3-4 underpants with you every time and everywhere :)

1
0

If she's taking off her diaper because it's uncomfortable to her then I wouldn't necessarily embark on potty training.  If she's taking it off because she wants to start using the potty, then you could consider it.  (She is really young for potty training but some people swear it's possible!).

What is she wearing over the diaper?  It seems like if you put her in overalls she may have a tougher time getting to the diaper to take it off.  You may also try changing diaper brands.  If she's uncomfortable, maybe another brand will feel better.  Also, since she's more willing to keep "big girl underwear" on, maybe you should switch to pullups.  It's unusual for a one year old to wear them but you may be able to find some in her size.

Good luck...that's a tricky one!

1
0
MillsMomma0708
MillsMomma0... , Parent writes:
Even with clothes on, she takes the pamper off. She'll take off all her clothes and then take off her pamper. Even pull-ups (so you see my delimma!!!!). It doesn't matter what brand pamper it is, she still takes them off. Whether she is stinky, wet, or not. She, unlike her sister, is very fond of what experts call "Naked Time". And it wouldnt be a problem, but mommy cant keep up with "Naked Time".

0
0
chloesmommy
chloesmommy writes:
My daughter is going through the same thing, I can not keep her in pants or diapers. I tried pull ups too and she would rather be naked. My other problem is she wont pee in the potty and she is 20 months. she peed right next to it squatting instead. We are going to have potty training weekend and maybe that will help. We are going to potty train a dolly that pees :) I think I one year old should have her insides be so developed but maybe she developed fast. Try pull ups and winsees, maybe at her age she wont be able to get them off as fast. Mine and unbutton and take off anything. Its funny but I cant laugh in front of her because she also thinks it funny when we say why are you naked?........let me know if you reach a solution.

0
0
chamberlain.jeff
chamberlain... writes:
Your 2-yr old definately seems to be ready for the potty training process, and as the old saying goes: why not kill to birds with one stone? If the 1-yr old will not wear the diapers, but will wear the "big girl" underwear, I would potty train both of them at the same time. Accidents will still happen; however, if they both start to learn the "early arning signs" that they have to go, it will be easier for you in the  long run. There have been many instances of children being potty trained much earlier than the age of one, and it sure would cut down on the expenses by not having to buy diapers all the time... not to mention the reduction of disposable diapers going into the landfills. I hope this helps and good luck.

0
0