carrielm21
carrielm21 asks:
Q:

Even though my four year old has been writing his letters repeatedly, he still is not recognizing them.  Should I be worried or have him tested?

|

pigtoria
pigtoria writes:
Hi Carrielm21,

English is not an easy language to learn.  The English alphabet is very abstract in the sense that the structure of the alphabet gives no indication to its sound.  To make things worse, each sound of the alphabet is represent by two letters: uppercase and lowercase.  In some cases, the uppercase and lowercase letters look totally different (letters Q and q; Letter A and a).  I used to be a preschool teacher and I would say that it’s not uncommon for a young four years old to not know the sound of alphabets even though they know how to write them.  A good way to teach kids alphabet is out of order (rather than alphabetically order) and start with uppercase.  The letters that made up the child’s name is also another great to introduce them to the sound and recognition of alphabets.

Vicki

1
0