kat_eden , Parent asks:
Q:

What do you tell your young kids to do if they get lost in a crowded place?

We're heading to some amusement parks during spring break with our 5 & 7 year old kids. What do you tell kids this age to do if they get separated from their parents? I sometimes tell them to ask someone in a uniform for help. But I wonder if they'd even be able to tell who's in uniform? (It's not like finding a police man!). I also sometimes tell them to meet me at a certain point. But I wonder if they'd ever be able to find it or if they'd stay calm enough to find it if they couldn't see me. Any good tips from experienced park goers?

Thanks!
In Topics: Family vacations

|

Hello!

I was going to recommend the very company sited here as well-   Also, http://www.EyedentityLabel.com is another company to help keep children safe.

There are many sites that are dedicated to the safety of our children.  I would suggest this one as well: http://safetymom.com/

I recently heard a show on HerInsight- Toginet Radio (Families with a Purpose) and they also recommended that a lost child should find another family that has children.  Then the child should tell the mom or dad that he/she is lost.  Also, they say that parents should tell their child never to leave the park with anyone as the parents will be looking for them within the park.

I know that when our children were small, we also showed them what the park helpers looked like and walked them to the stores and medical facilities in the area to show them how to go to a counter helper for assistance.  These were "designated" safe people.

Hope these answers help.

0
0

What fun plans you have for spring break! I bet the kids are really excited about this adventure. I grew up near several large amusement parks (Disneyland, Magic Mountain, Knotts Berry Farm), and we visited multiple times per year. I'm sure my mom shared your current worry of losing us -- it can be hard to keep track of the kids in places like those (especially when they're super excited and want to run to each ride)!

I posted your question to my Facebook friends (many of whom are parents in the LA area and frequent the parks). Here's one response received thus far, from a mother of three girls (age 20, 10, and 8):

She tells her kids to "only talk to someone in uniform" and puts name tags on them. She also says, "I dress my kids in bright colors and write my cell number on the tag inside their shirt. Sometimes I use a luggage tag (they have small ones), and put it on a string. They wear it around their neck, so when they talk to an employee, they tell them to look at tag."

With our family, we started teaching our daughter mommy and daddy's cell phone numbers when she was age 5. Now she's 8 and has both of our phone numbers firmly memorized. When we visited Disneyland when our daughter was 4, we had 5 adults and 3 kids, and did lots of communicating among the adults to make sure that we were all clear on our 'kid-watching' assignments (i.e., which adult was responsible for which kid, to ensure that the kids had at least 1 set of eyeballs on them at all times, even if that set of eyeballs belonged to a different adult at different times throughout the day). When we find ourselves in a large crowd (whether at amusement parks or concerts), we insist on holding hands too (or locking arms), to make sure that we don't get separated. Lastly, we occasionally use clip-on, long-distance walkie-talkies (with a range of up to 10 miles), as an alternative way to keep in touch at events (our daughter doesn't have her own cell phone yet, and she really enjoys using the walkie-talkie). When we walk into the park, we also point out what the park workers look like, so she knows who to ask for help if she gets lost (we also do reminders throughout the day, either by pointing them out or by having interactions with the staff together).

I hope this helps!

1
0
Hi, I just came across another suggestion (via Twitter) that you might consider...

Temporary safety child ID tattoo: http://www.safetytat.com/child-id/index.php

On Twitter here: http://twitter.com/SafetyTat

2
0