rkaiulani
rkaiulani asks:
Q:

Who was your best teacher ever?

We spend a lot of time thinking about what our kids are getting out of their schools, but what do we remember about when we got? Everyone had that one special teacher that inspired us to greater heights and got us excited about the world. I thought it would be nice to hear about who those teachers were, and what about them was so very special.
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s)

|
rkaiulani
rkaiulani writes:
I went to a Waldorf school, so we had the same main teacher from first through eighth grade. He had terrible nicotine breath, an explosive temper, and a deep sonorous voice that riveted everyone within hearing range. He was also the most fantastic teacher ever. He would don a bizarre fishing vest and safari hat every time we had a field-trip, and once got pulled over for speeding with a van full of awe-struck eighth-graders. He was at my college graduation last week, in an Englishman's colonial seersucker suit and Panama hat. Some things never change.

1
0
JSorrentino
JSorrentino writes:
I had a very special 8th grade language arts teacher. I loved to write and would spend hours on each writing assignment. One day Ms. Hart asked me to stay after class. I panicked. Only kids who've done something wrong are asked to stay after, I thought. I sat down by her desk and she pulled out my writing assignment. Maybe she hated my assignment and is flunking me, I thought. I'll never forget what she said next: "I just wanted to keep you after class to tell you how much I love your writing. You're going to be a great writer someday." To hear my teacher tell me with such conviction that I would make something of my love for writing meant the world to me. Thanks for going out of your way, Ms. Hart.

2
0
LDavy
LDavy writes:
In 9th grade I had Mr. Campbell.  He had taught my older sister so I already knew he the assignments were difficult, there were at least two tests a week, and he was a hard grader.  I entered the classroom expecting the worst, but I got the best.  Although it was a lot of work, there wasn't any busy work and learned not to fear writing a long essay.  He gave tests were hard but useful (he made us take tests about Latin root-words, which became very handy when trying to figure out what an unknown word means).  He was also a hard grader, but he always gave useful comments on how to improve.  I have had many amazing teachers (just to touch on a few: Mrs. Caluya, Mrs. Vandeline, and Mrs. Sullivan).  But I feared and came to appreciate Mr. Campbell the most.

2
0
BMelton , Teacher writes:
Realtionships are the most important part of connecting with students. I recently heard from a former student who posted my maiden name on his website and asked that someone forward his information to me. I was thrilled to find out that I inspired a prolific career of writing and drama. My "student"is now an accomplished adult with a novel, several screen plays and other productions in his repertoire. How wonderful it was to hear from someone I helped many years ago!! Teachers rarely hear about how they affected others!!

2
0
Hitesh
Hitesh writes:
according to my opinion the class teachers are not only teacher while every persion who teach us related new aspects due to condition or places are also a teacher. Mostly we forgot our grand parents who gave us lot of values related living world. According to academic point of view there is lot of teachers but best only those who know what is requirement of time.

1
0