Cyber Bullying (page 2)
Cyber Bullying is social terror by technology ... and it’s on the rise.
When a kid of any age, up to 18 is threatened, humiliated, harassed, or humiliated via use of technology --- this is Cyber Bullying.
This social online terror is used through e-mail, cell phones, pager text messages, instant messaging, Web sites, online personal polling Web sites. It is done by kids deliberately and repeatedly and is used by an individual or group with the intention of harming other kids and teens.
Kids use technology to talk to their friends and make new ones. While most kids use the Internet responsibly, others are using all of this technology to terrorize and Cyber Bully!
Cyber Bullying is the perfect way for bullies to remain anonymous. So anonymous, the bully has no fear of punishment.
Cyber Bullying makes it easier for bullies because they are not face to face with their victim(s.)
Kids And Teens Bully Online In Various Ways:
Instant Messaging/Text Messaging Harassment
- Sending hateful or threatening messages to other kids
- Kids send death threats using IM, text-messaging, photos and videos
- Kids gang up on their victim in text wars or text attacks. They send hundreds or thousands of text-messages to the victim's cell phone or other mobile device, resulting in a large cell phone bill and angry parents.
- Texting or Warning Wars kicks someone else offline for an extended period because ISP's offer a way of "telling on" a user who uses the Internet for inappropriate behavior, remarks and language.
- A kid may create a screenname that is very similar to another kid's name but add or remove an extra vowel. Then they use this name to say disparaging things to other users while posing as the other person.
Kids can create Web sites that could humiliate or endanger another kid. They post photos, videos and all kinds of personal information (such as phone numbers, address, etc.) which could endanger the kid who is the victim.
Sending Pictures through E-mail and Cell Phones
Newer cell phones allow kids to send pictures to each other. Pictures are received directly on the phones and could end up in everyone's address book. Some kids have actually posted pornographic pictures on sites and programs for anyone to download. Kids often take photos of someone in a locker room, bathroom or dressing room and post it online or send it to others on cell phones. They send these via mass e-mail to others. Some of these photos could include nude or degrading pictures of their victims. E-mails like that get passed around to hundreds of others -- ending up everywhere in cyberspace.
Posing as the victim, Cyber Bullies may post erotic or suggestive messages in a hate group's chatroom posing as the victim -- inviting an attack against them. They give the name, address and phone number of the victim to make the hate group's job easier. They might even send a message to someone posing as the victim, saying hateful or threatening things while masquerading as the victim. And they often alter a messag actually from the victim, making it seem that they have said something horrible.
Sending Malicious Code
Kids can send viruses, spyware and hacking programs to their victims to destroy their computers or spy on their victim. If the Cyber Bully uses a Trojan Horse program they can control their victim's computer remote control, and erase the hard drive.
Sending Porn and Other Junk E-Mail and IMs
Cyber Bullies may sign their victims up for numerous e-mailing and IM marketing lists which creates mass emails for the victim. They even sign them up for porn sites.
These online journals are a way for kids to damage other kids' reputations or invade their privacy. Sometimes kids set up a blog or profile page pretending to be their victim and saying things to humiliate them.
- Kids can steal the password and lock the victim out of their own account.
- Kids may use another kid's password to change his/her profile and write sexual, racist and disparaging remarks abiut that person.
- Kids may steal another kid's password and chat with others pretending to be the other kid. They can say mean things to this person's friends or other people.
- Kids can give or sell the password to a hacker to hack into the victim's computer
A perfect way for kids to create more rumor! Asking Who's a Slut? Who's Not? And kids poll to answer.
Games like Box Live and Sony Play Station 2 Network allow your kids to communicate by chat and live Internet phone with anyone they find themselves matched with in a game online. Sometimes the kids verbally abuse the other kids, using threats and lewd language. Sometimes they take it further, by locking them out of games, passing false rumors about them or hacking into their accounts.
If you think kids couldn't possibly be this cruel -- think again! It happens all the time. Some reports of Cyber Bullies are as young as 7 or 8 yers-old.
All rights reserved. Love Our Children USA™ 1999-2010
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- GED Math Practice Test 1
- The Homework Debate
- Problems With Standardized Testing