Fact Sheet: You Can't Get Pregnant if You Do it Standing Up…and Other Myths (for Teens)
Myth: You can't get pregnant if
- It's your first time;
- If you're both virgins;
- When the girl is having her period;
- If the guy pulls out before he ejaculates or if he doesn't go all the way in;
- If you have sex in a pool or hot tub;
- If the girl douches after sex;
- If both partners don't orgasm at the same time;
- If the girl jumps up and down after sex (to get all the sperm out);
- If the girl pushes really hard on her belly button after sex;
- If the girl takes a shower or bath right away;
- If the girl is on top during sex;
- If the guy drinks a two-liter Mountain Dew before sex (to kill the sperm); or
- If the girl makes herself sneeze for fifteen minutes after sex.
- Having contraception readily available makes you a slut (girls) or makes it look like you are expecting sex (boys);
- If you use birth control pills now you will have trouble having kids later;
- It is OK to use your friend or sister's birth control pills;
- You can use plastic wrap if you don't have a condom;
- You only take birth control pills when you are going to have sex;
- Girls can get cancer if they're on the pill; or
- After a certain point in the relationship you don't have to use condoms anymore.
Myth: Health and Sex
- Sex equals love and commitment;
- People can't get STDs from having oral sex;
- If you use a tampon before you have sex, you're not a virgin anymore;
- A guy/girl will know if you're a virgin; or
- If you stop having sex with a guy once he's aroused, he will be in serious pain; or
- If you only have sex with healthy people you don't need a condom.
Reprinted with the permission of the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy. © 2008, The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy.