Making Summer Learning Fun (page 2)
You will need:
- Talk with your child about different shapes and have him/her practice drawing them on scrap paper.
- Together, cut out circles, ovals, triangles, squares, rectangles, and pentagons from pieces of cardboard.
- Cut out matching shapes from different colored construction paper (or use white paper that children have colored).
- Match the cardboard and paper shapes and guide your child in gluing them together.
- Glue a popsicle stick to the back of the cardboard for a handle.
- Let dry for 1-2 hours.
- Once dry, take turns fanning yourselves and have your child name the shapes and colors of each fan. Take them with you to the beach or on errands.
You will need:
- Do this outside in the yard, on the sidewalk, on the front steps, or in the park to avoid getting sand in your house.
- Have your child write her/his name in big letters on scrap paper. (you can guide your child's hand if he/she does not know how or write it and have him/her trace the letters)
- Have your child practice writing her/his names on the scrap paper.
- Write your child's name in glue (you can gently guide her/his hand if needed) on a piece of construction paper (or colored-in white paper).
- Together, sprinkle dry sand over the glue until it is completely covered. Let it sit for 2 minutes and then shake off excess sand.
- Let dry for 1 hour and hang it up at home.
Baby Beluga (Raffi Songs to Read) by Raffi
Otto Goes to the Beach by Todd Parr
by Eric Carle
This counting book is the perfect introduction to the zoo. With Carle's colorful illustrations, children meet all of the animals they will see at the zoo and practice number recognition and basic counting (Philomel). This book is available through our website by clicking on the Amazon link: www.parent-child.org.
Reprinted with the permission of the Parent-Child Home Program, Inc.
Washington Virtual Academies
Tuition-free online school for Washington students.
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Child Development Theories
- GED Math Practice Test 1
- Graduation Inspiration: Top 10 Graduation Quotes
- The Homework Debate
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- First Grade Sight Words List
- Social Cognitive Theory