Bananas Baby Briefs: The New Baby 0 – 1 Month (page 2)
A BABY IS THE MOST PRECIOUS THING ON EARTH
Newborn babies can seem very fragile, but they are really very sturdy. They like to be held and touched. Babies also respond to your voice; sing, talk gently to them and love them.
All babies cry. It doesn’t mean that you are doing something wrong. Check if they are hungry, wet or uncomfortable in any way. Be as reassuring as possible. Sometimes, babies just cry. They have lived in a warm, safe place for the nine months before they were born and now they must get used to this big, noisy world. If you feel that the crying is making you upset, take a deep breath and tell yourself it isn’t your fault. ALL BABIES CRY!
What Do New Babies Like To Do?
- Eat every few hours
- Wet their diapers
- Make fists
- Make funny throaty noises
Funny Things About Newborns
- Umbilical cord (It dries and gets hard and falls off)
- Wrinkled, splotchy, spotty skin
- Dry scalp, sometimes looks like dandruff
- Black or sticky green bowel movements
- Cry without tears
- Funny-shaped heads
What Can I Do With Babies This Age?
- Make sure they are dry and fed
- Hold them
- Touch them
- Rock them
- Sing to them Talk and smile
- Gently bathe them
- Stroke them
- Play music
- Dance with them
CHILDREN GROW AT DIFFERENT SPEEDS. ENCOURAGE, BUT DON’T PUSH!
If you want to discuss your child care arrangement or the growth and development of a child in your care, call the BANANAS Warm Line or attend some of our many workshops and classes. BANANAS is located at 5232 Claremont Avenue, Oakland, CA 94618. For general information, call (510) 658-7353, or check our website at www.bananasinc.org.
© 1979, BANANAS, Inc. Revised 2005.
Reprinted with the permission of BANANAS, Inc. © 2007 BANANAS
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- The Homework Debate
- Social Cognitive Theory
- GED Math Practice Test 1
- First Grade Sight Words List