The Arts For Young People
Get your teen or pre-teen involved in a good after-school arts program
Teens often struggle with issues of self-identity. They also want their voices to be heard. The arts are a great way for young people to learn about themselves and express themselves.
Research shows that being involved in the arts helps young people:
- Be more confident and self-aware;
- Solve problems and make decisions;
- Become leaders;
- Build teamwork skills;
- Be more tolerant of others; and
- Do better in school, including in reading, writing, and math.
If they start a creative practice as a young person, they will be much more likely to do creative activities throughout their lives. They will be more fulfilled and will be more self-aware as adults. And art is great fun!
The arts are for everyone.
As a parent, the most important thing to remember is that all kids can be creative, have an active imagination, and make good artwork. Just because your kids may not see themselves as artistic, or they may be focused on athletics or other interests, doesn't mean they shouldn't try arts projects. It is important for all kids to participate in creative arts projects.
You may not see yourself as an artist either, but you might be surprised by how much you would enjoy an art activity with your teen. It can be a great way to spend time together and get to know one another better. Also think about taking your child to an art museum. There are museums and galleries in almost every community. Everyone can appreciate the wide variety of art styles and media on display in museums. And it can be a fun way to spend time with your teen, which is so important.
After-school is a perfect time for young people to pursue new interests
Community arts programs for teenagers have become very popular throughout the country during the past year. Research has shown that teenagers respond best to programs where they feel some level of ownership and a sense of belonging, and where they have the opportunity to experiment in new art forms.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights
- Bullying in Schools
- First Grade Sight Words List
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working