Blended Family Vacations: How to be Successful
Summer is coming and you and your new spouse are wondering what to do about a vacation…
Do you have the fantastic idea of taking your newly blended family on a 3 week car ride all around the United States? Uh Oh… maybe you haven’t thought this through.
Your spouse is asking if maybe we should just take separate vacations. Nope- that’s not the answer either!
Keep it Simple
So- it is really wrong to take a 3 week car ride all over the United States? No, not really. If your blended family has been together for over a year or two, the kids are small, or you have a large recreational vehicle- then it sounds like a wonderful adventure. But, if you’re just starting out, as a new blended family, I don’t recommend it. That’s too close quarters and a lot of patience for adults and children to have for such a long amount of time.
Keep it Fair
Taking vacations separately is not completely wrong either, just a little difficult. When families blend in a new marriage, the kids are watching to see if everyone is going to be treated the same. The kids may expect to receive special treatment from their biological parent, but this sort of behavior just leads to parental conflicts and a sense of instability, insecurity and uncertainty in your household. I don’t recommend separate vacations except under certain circumstances:
- The school breaks are different (i.e. Spring Break) and the kids are out at different times. Take each group of kids on similar vacations, but at different times.
- You want to take one child on a vacation, alone, to celebrate an accomplishment (i.e. graduation from High School or College.) This is fine, but realize that the other kids are already anticipating their trip!
Keep it Short
The best vacations for a newly blended family are weekend getaways, but not more than 3-4 nights. These are trial adventures, for your family to get to know each other. Examples of these types of trips:
- Weekend in the mountains
- Weekend at the beach · Weekend at a historical city/location
- 3-4 night cruise
Add your own comment
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- First Grade Sight Words List
- Graduation Inspiration: Top 10 Graduation Quotes
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- Smart Parenting During and After Divorce: Introducing Your Child to Your New Partner