College Admission Esssays: Favorite Activity Short-Answer Essay Example (page 2)
Below is an example of a favorite activity short-answer college applicatioin essay.
Community service was a rewarding part of my high school life. Mentoring, peer tutoring, and teaching seventh graders were particularly gratifying activities. As a natural extension of these roles, I now volunteer in the Emergency Room and on the cancer ward of the Children’s Hospital of Blainesville, Alabama.
As a volunteer in the Emergency Room, my greatest challenge is to divert the child’s attention away from his/her illness or wound. After triage and initial treatment, the patient and I engage in activities including playing board games, reading, and simply conversing.
On the cancer ward, my responsibilities are more complex. The majority of these children are terminally ill. Removed form their homes, schools, and friends, these patients realize that they are not leading normal lives. In order to insure that their education is not compromised, the hospital provides classes. I teach reading and math to elementary-aged children. When the lessons are over, we play games including Twister, Monopoly, Chutes and Ladders, and Candyland. On occasion I have entertained them with my saxophone.
From my exposure as an EMT and as a volunteer in a dialysis unit, it is apparent that I am lucky to be healthy. Dedicating myself to helping these less fortunate children feel better about themselves brings me tremendous satisfaction.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Bullying in Schools
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Steps in the IEP Process