Tip #44 to Get a Top ACT Math Score
On average, after memorizing and practicing Skills 44 and 45 for avoiding careless errors, most students gain 2 points on their ACT Math score! So learn these strategies.
Most Common ACT Math Careless Errors
- Practice being focused, yet relaxed. You don't need to be tense and a wreck to excel on the ACT or in life. You can be intense and work quickly, yet be relaxed. In fact, being intent and focused, yet calm and clear will help you avoid errors. Be fully present with each question: focused, relaxed, awake, and mindful. See "Yoga," page 66.
- (2x)2 = 4x2, not 2x2.
- –2(3x – 3) = –6x + 6, not –6x – 6.
- = x + 4, not x + 20.
Square both the 2 and the x.
Remember to distribute the –2 to both the 3x and the –3.
Remember that the 5 is under not only the 5x, but also the 20.
Let's look at this question:
Solution: Nice functions review! Remember the key to functions on the ACT—whatever is in the parentheses gets plugged in for x. So, f(2p) just means plug in 2p for x. So f(2p) = 3(2p)2 = 3(4p2) = 12p2. Careless Error Busters: Remember that the 2 gets squared. Also remember order of operations, multiply 3 times 4 after squaring 2.
Correct answer: J
- (9x – 3) – (3x + 6) is equivalent to
- 3(x + 3)
- 3(2x + 3)
- 3(2x – 3)
- 3(3x – 1)
- 3(x – 3)
- If f(x) = –2x3, which of the following expresses f(–p)?
- When m = –1, which of the following is equivalent to m(2x2 – 2)?
- –2x2 + 2
- –2x2 – 2
- 2x2 – 2
- 2x2 + 2
- x2 + 2
- If, , find y when x = 3.
- a – 15
- 9a – 15
- 9a – 5
- a – 5
- a – 3
- If m = 2p, then which of the following is equivalent to (m + 4)2 ?
- 2p + 4
- 4p2 + 4
- 2p2 + 8p + 16
- 4p2 + 8p + 16
- 4p2 + 16p + 16
- If f(x) = x(2x2 – 2), find f(–2p).
- –16p3 + 4p
- –8p3 + 4p
- –8p3 – 4p
- 16p3 – 4p
- 8p3 + 4p
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
WORKBOOKSMay Workbooks are Here!
WE'VE GOT A GREAT ROUND-UP OF ACTIVITIES PERFECT FOR LONG WEEKENDS, STAYCATIONS, VACATIONS ... OR JUST SOME GOOD OLD-FASHIONED FUN!Get Outside! 10 Playful Activities
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Bullying in Schools
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- First Grade Sight Words List