Tip #31 to Get a Top ACT Math Score
I fear that I will always be
A lonely number like root three.
A three is all that's good and right,
Why must my three keep out of sight?
Beneath a vicious square root sign,
I wish instead I were a nine …
Kumar Patel, Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay (Warner Bros., 2008)
2n2 + n2 = 3n2 When adding with matching bases and matching exponents, add coefficients.
2n + n2 Does not combine. When adding, they combine only if they have matching bases and matching coefficients.
n–2 = A negative exponent means "take the reciprocal."
N4/3 = For a fractional exponent, the top number is the power and the bottom number is the root.
Let's take a look at this question:
Solution: Great review of Skill 3. "What is m in terms of p" means "solve for m—use algebra to get m alone."
8m2p3 = m5p Divide both sides by p.
8m2p2 = m5 Divide both sides by m2.
8p2 = m3 Put both sides to the one-third exponent, since (m3)1/3 = m
(8p2)1/3 = m Distribute the exponent.
2p2/3 = m
Correct answer: B
- What is the sum of 2x2 and 2x3 ?
- 2x2 + 2x3
- 2x4 + 2x4
- The product of 3m–2 and 2m–5 is
- For positive real numbers a, b, and c, which of the following expressions is equivalent to a2/3b1/6c1/2 ?
- If , then x = ?
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- The Homework Debate
- First Grade Sight Words List
- Social Cognitive Theory
- GED Math Practice Test 1