Characteristics of Quality Childcare
How important is it to be sure your childcare program is high-quality? Know what to look for and what to ask.
What You Need to Know
Good childcare programs attend to the social, emotional, physical, and cognitive development of children. In addition, they provide support to the families.
- Research shows that high-quality childcare programs teach skills in math, language, and literacy.
- High-quality programs also provide opportunities for children to develop self-control and social skills.
- Good early childhood programs and experiences are important and definitely count.
How You Can Help
Parents should be aware of the importance of a high-quality childcare program.
- When looking for childcare, be ready with a list of questions. Ask what curriculum they follow, what a typical day looks like, what skills they aim to teach the children, and what qualifications the teachers have.
- Be involved. Talk to your child’s teachers and let them know you are available to them. An open line of communication not only allows teachers to try to resolve issues, but also gives parents insight into what’s going on in the classroom.
For more on this topic, see the complete article:
Washington Virtual Academies
Tuition-free online school for Washington students.
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Child Development Theories
- Social Cognitive Theory
- GED Math Practice Test 1
- The Homework Debate
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- Problems With Standardized Testing