How Much Sexual Content is in the Media?
Studies show that the amount of sexual content on TV has continued to increase over the past decade (see this study). Among the top 20 TV shows watched by teens:
- 70% contain sexual content of some kind
- 45% contain sexual behavior itself
- 10% contain a reference to sexual risks or responsibilities
Studies show that 40% of music content is sexual. Most sexual lyrics pertain to relationships and sexual intercourse and contain sexual innuendos. (see this study)
Women's magazines consistently feature articles on achieving males’ sexual attention and improving physical appearance through beauty & fashion aids. Advertisements and photos often portray young women as sex objects. (see this study)
Youth are often exposed to pornography online, whether they intend to find it or not.
© 2004-2008 Center on Media and Child Health, Children's Hospital Boston.
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- Social Cognitive Theory
- GED Math Practice Test 1
- The Homework Debate
- First Grade Sight Words List