How Much Sexual Content is in the Media?
Studies show that the amount of sexual content on TV has continued to increase over the past decade (see this study). Among the top 20 TV shows watched by teens:
- 70% contain sexual content of some kind
- 45% contain sexual behavior itself
- 10% contain a reference to sexual risks or responsibilities
Studies show that 40% of music content is sexual. Most sexual lyrics pertain to relationships and sexual intercourse and contain sexual innuendos. (see this study)
Women's magazines consistently feature articles on achieving males’ sexual attention and improving physical appearance through beauty & fashion aids. Advertisements and photos often portray young women as sex objects. (see this study)
Youth are often exposed to pornography online, whether they intend to find it or not.
© 2004-2008 Center on Media and Child Health, Children's Hospital Boston.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Bullying in Schools
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights
- First Grade Sight Words List