Grammar Lesson: Phrases and Clauses Review (page 3)
Activity 1- Identifying Phrase and Clauses
Identify the underlined group of words by writing the code letter that is found within the box below. Write the letter on the line before the sentence. Each letter is used at least once.
- ____ Writing so many plays kept Tennessee Williams very busy for many years.
- ____ That man with the golden retriever is Hank's best friend.
- ____ Unless I have enough vacation time, I will not be able to share that summer rental with them.
- ____ This presiding officer knows how to attract good workers.
- ____ The musician signing autographs in the lobby has been there for a while.
- ____ Joe Edwards, my boss in the factory, is intelligent.
- ____ On the next day, all the penguins returned to the site.
- ____ To reach the North Pole was the explorer's goal.
- ____ Arnold told Juanita that she would probably get the promotion.
- ____ These are certainly the times that try men's souls.
- ____ Touching the finish line before the others, the talented swimmer won the race.
- ____ The doctor's advice, more rest, should be followed.
- ____ The lions roared while the cats purred.
- ____ Running in place, the soldier felt fit.
- ____ These children on the bus need to sit quietly.
Activity 2- Do you Know Your Phrases and Clauses
Fifteen groups of words are underlined in these sentences. Identify the name of each group with its name from the phrases and clauses listed below.Write the code letter on the blank next to each sentence. Each letter is used at least once.
- ____ Win's birthday is April 23rd, the same day as Shakespeare's birthday.
- ____ The mural had been painted by the school's eighth graders.
- ____ Until Lucinda's grades improve, she will not be allowed to participate in school sports.
- ____ We followed along on the trail that eventually led to the canteen.
- ____ In the interim, let us continue to work.
- ____ Philosophy is what Naomi will study in graduate school.
- ____ Will the egret return to this location?
- ____ I like to visit my former neighborhood whenever I can.
- ____ The key can be found in the upper drawer.
- ____ To collect both old and new stamps was Henry's hobby.
- ____ Derek wanted to win the World Series again.
- ____ Cleaning up the garage kept John busy last Saturday.
- ____ This situation is what the director desired.
- ____ Walking down the darkened stairway, the policewoman was very careful.
- ____ Finding so many colorful shells was stimulating for Felicia.
Activity 3- Putting Clauses into Action
Combine these ideas in each number as requested within the parentheses. Discuss your answers with your classmates.
- (adjective clause) My sister is tall. My sister is in the fifth grade.
- (adverb clause) The bell rang. Three mice ran throughout the maze
- (adjective clause) We visited the restaurant last Tuesday. It is in the Sheldon Park Mall.
- (noun clause) Here are two magazines. I would like to buy these two magazines.
- (adverb clause) School was canceled on Tuesday morning. There was a big snowstorm on Monday night. The storm dropped ten inches of snow.
- (adverb clause) Lucy tells us scary stories. These stories are about ghosts. We get frightened by her stories.
- (noun clause) Someone will win the potato sack race. The deputy mayor will give a blue ribbon as the prize.
- Identifying Phrases and Clauses
- Do You Know Your Phrases and Clauses?
- Putting Clauses into Action
(These are possible answers. There may be others.)
- My sister, who is in the fifth grade, is tall.
- As soon as the bell rang, three mice ran throughout the maze.
- Last Tuesday, we visited the restaurant that is in the Sheldon Park Mall.
- What I would like to buy are these two magazines.
- Because Monday night's storm dropped ten inches of snow, school was canceled on Tuesday morning.
- Whenever Lucy tells us scary ghost stories, we get frightened.
- The deputy mayor will give whoever wins the potato sack race a blue ribbon as the prize.
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- GED Math Practice Test 1
- The Homework Debate
- Problems With Standardized Testing