School Readiness: Preparing for Middle School
Your middle school student may need more independence to discover new interests and build skills and knowledge, but will also need your continued support and guidance.
Middle School Readiness Checklist
Before your child passes through those middle-school doors, consider whether he or she is socially prepared by using the following checklist. Please remember that each child is unique; these are simply some general guidelines to consider for students in grades 6-8.
- Your child can point out strengths and weaknesses in himself/herself and in others.
- Your child understands the importance of a good attitude.
- Your child knows how to reduce his/her level of stress.
- Your child is extremely good at expressing his/her feelings.
- Your child is able to identify the characteristics of a positive relationship.
- Your child is able to resolve conflicts.
- Your child understands the importance of individuality.
The Middle School Years: What Should Parents Expect?
Transitioning into middle school can be a huge adjustment for your child. The routines, school work, campus, teachers, friends, and fellow students are usually very new. This change can be overwhelming and may have an impact on your child’s motivation and self-esteem.
Middle school students experience a number of physical, emotional, and mental changes. As a middle school parent, you should be aware that your child will experience fluctuating emotions and motivation levels, and will be exposed to new situations and experiences. Peer pressure, academic demands, exposure to new social environments, and physical changes will be added distractions to an already new and sometimes overwhelming world.
As a parent of a middle school child, you will need to maintain constant communication and connection with your child. Keep in mind that while your child may need more space and independence to discover new interests and build skills and knowledge, he or she will also need your continued support and guidance throughout the middle school years.
Add your own comment
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Graduation Inspiration: Top 10 Graduation Quotes
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- Smart Parenting During and After Divorce: Introducing Your Child to Your New Partner