Stages of Morphosyntactic Development in Young Children’s Language (page 2)
In the table below find an outline of five stages of morphosyntactical development in preschooler's language. This table shows morphosyntactic characteristics with associated examples from 12 months of age to 46 months of age.
|Stage||Age (months)||Morphosyntactic Characteristics||Examples|
|I||12–26||Single-word utterances and multiword combinations based on word-order/ semantic-syntactic rules.||
|II||27–30||The appearance of grammatical morphemes.||
|III||31–34||Simple sentence forms Development of noun and verb phrases with the addition of grammatical morphemes, quantifiers, adjectives, and adverbs. Development of different sentence types (declarative, interrogative, imperative, and negative).||
|IV||35–40||The appearance of embedded phrases and subordinate clauses within a sentence. Subordinate clauses are introduced by conjunction words (after, although, before, until, while, when) or relative pronouns (who, which, whom, that).||
|V||41–46||The appearance of sentences conjoined with conjunction words (and, if, because, when, but, after, before, so).||
© ______ 2009, Merrill, an imprint of Pearson Education Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved. The reproduction, duplication, or distribution of this material by any means including but not limited to email and blogs is strictly prohibited without the explicit permission of the publisher.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
WORKBOOKSMay Workbooks are Here!
WE'VE GOT A GREAT ROUND-UP OF ACTIVITIES PERFECT FOR LONG WEEKENDS, STAYCATIONS, VACATIONS ... OR JUST SOME GOOD OLD-FASHIONED FUN!Get Outside! 10 Playful Activities
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Bullying in Schools
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- First Grade Sight Words List