Chemistry and Periodic Table for Nursing School Entrance Exam Practice Problems
The study guide for these practice questions can be found at:
Find great Periodic Table Worksheets and Printables to help study the elements
- If the electron configuration of an element is written 1s2 2s2 2px2 2py2 2pz2 3s1, the element's atomic
- number is 11.
- number is 12.
- weight is 11.
- weight is 12.
- Choose the proper group of symbols for the following elements: potassium, silver, mercury, lead, sodium, iron.
- Po, Ar, Hr, Pm, So, Fm
- Pb, Sl, Me, Le, Su, Io
- Pt, Sr, My, Pd, Sd, In
- K, Ag, Hg, Pb, Na, Fe
- What is the maximum number of electrons that each p orbital can hold?
- What is the maximum number of electrons that the second energy level can hold?
- What is the name of the individual who proposed that the atom was similar to a solar system, with a dense nucleus and concentric circles around it?
- The horizontal rows of the periodic table are called
- representative elements.
- Which of the following is an alkali metal (group IA)?
- Who stated that an orbital can hold as many as two electrons if they have opposite spins, one clockwise and one counterclockwise?
- Which elements conduct electricity?
- If the electron configuration of an element is written: 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p3, the element's atomic
- number is 15.
- number is 5.
- weight is 15.
- weight is 5.
- a. Since there are 11 electrons in the element's electron configuration, the element has 11 protons and, therefore, an atomic number of 11.
- d. See the periodic table.
- b. Each p orbital holds two electrons. There are three p orbitals, holding a total of six electrons.
- a. The second energy level has one s orbital and three p orbitals, holding a total of eight electrons.
- d. Bohr proposed the model defined in the question.
- d. By definition, the periods are the horizontal rows on the periodic table.
- b. Sodium is an alkali metal.
- c. The question defines Pauli's exclusion principle.
- a. Metals, by definition, conduct electricity.
- a. Since the element has 15 electrons, it also has 15 protons and an atomic number of 15.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Bullying in Schools
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights
- First Grade Sight Words List