Address Checking and Types of Errors Study Guide for McGraw-Hill's Postal Exams 473/473C
Here’s a complete list of types of errors you may encounter in your postal services exam. to look for in the List to Be Checked.
- Misspelling the name of a street or city (for example, changing Johnson to Johnston)
- Changing the name of a street or city (for example, Fairmont to Fairview)
- Changing a street type (for example, Road to Drive or Avenue to Street)
- Abbreviating a word (for example, Suite to Ste. or Drive to Dr.) or changing an abbreviation to the completed word (for example, changing Rd. to Road or Hwy. to Highway)
- Switching two digits in a street address, ZIP code, or other number (for example, changing 11791 to 11719)
- Adding or omitting a digit in a number (for example, changing 43 to 430)
- Changing one digit in a number (for example, 583 to 588)
Sometimes, you’ll find more than one error in an address (apart from the ZIP code). Here’s an example in which there’s an error on both the first address line and the second address line:
|Correct List||List to Be Checked|
4980 West 13th Ave.
Wheat Ridge, CO 80033
4980 East 13th Ave.
White Ridge, CO 80033
Most often, however, an address will contain one error at most.
Types of Errors Not to Look For
Punctuation is not tested. Abbreviations such as Ave., Blvd., and Ste. may or may not be followed by a period, but you won’t find any punctuation discrepancies between the correct addresses and the addresses to be checked. So don’t waste time looking for them.
Capitalization is not tested. Don’t waste time looking for capitalization errors (for example, Los angeles or main Street) in the List to Be Checked, because you won’t find any.
Incorrect ZIP Codes
You do not need to know which ZIP codes go with which cities. In each address, the five-digit ZIP code will be an actual ZIP code for the city that’s named. You’re not being tested on whether ZIP codes are proper matches for cities—just on whether the ZIP codes in the right-hand list match the ones in the left-hand list.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Bullying in Schools
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Steps in the IEP Process