Resources for Reading, Math, and Writing for CBEST Exam Study Guide
If any or all of the three subjects covered in the minicourse are especially tough for you, you may want to consider doing some further reading. Following is a list of particularly useful books for preparing for the skills tested on the CBEST.
- 501 Reading Comprehension Questions, 3rd edition (LearningExpress)
- Fast, focused practice to help you improve your skills.
- Read Better, Remember More, 2nd edition by Elizabeth Chesla (LearningExpress)
- A self-study book that helps you learn at your own pace, with varied exercises that make learning easy.
- Reading Comprehension Success in 20 Minutes a Day, 3rd edition (LearningExpress)
- A 20-step book that covers all the basics of reading well; especially useful for those preparing for exams like the CBEST.
- Visual Communication by Ned Racine (LearningExpress)
- Visual literacy is a growing area of assessment on standardized tests—find out here how to read maps, charts, diagrams, and schematics. Learn how to use and make use of visual communication!
The best way to improve your reading skills is to read as often as you can. Here is a list of well-known books that may interest you:
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (Autobiography)
Black Boy by Richard Wright (Autobiography)
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger (Coming of Age)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (Horror)
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (Science Fiction)
Hiroshima by John Hershey (War)
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (Fantasy)
Jurassic Park; The Lost World by Michael Crichton (Science Fiction)
The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper (Historical)
The Lives of a Cell by Lewis Thomas (Science/Medicine)
Moonlight Becomes You and other novels by Mary Higgins Clark (Suspense)
Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally (Historical)
A Separate Peace by John Knowles (Coming of Age)
The Stand and other novels by Stephen King (Horror)
A Time to Kill; The Client by John Grisham (Thriller)
Add your own comment
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- First Grade Sight Words List
- Graduation Inspiration: Top 10 Graduation Quotes
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- Smart Parenting During and After Divorce: Introducing Your Child to Your New Partner