Resources for Reading, Math, and Writing for CBEST Exam Study Guide (page 2)
If any or all of the three subjects covered in the minicourse are especially tough for you, you may want to consider doing some further reading. Following is a list of particularly useful books for preparing for the skills tested on the CBEST.
- 501 Reading Comprehension Questions, 3rd edition (LearningExpress)
- Fast, focused practice to help you improve your skills.
- Read Better, Remember More, 2nd edition by Elizabeth Chesla (LearningExpress)
- A self-study book that helps you learn at your own pace, with varied exercises that make learning easy.
- Reading Comprehension Success in 20 Minutes a Day, 3rd edition (LearningExpress)
- A 20-step book that covers all the basics of reading well; especially useful for those preparing for exams like the CBEST.
- Visual Communication by Ned Racine (LearningExpress)
- Visual literacy is a growing area of assessment on standardized tests—find out here how to read maps, charts, diagrams, and schematics. Learn how to use and make use of visual communication!
The best way to improve your reading skills is to read as often as you can. Here is a list of well-known books that may interest you:
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (Autobiography)
Black Boy by Richard Wright (Autobiography)
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger (Coming of Age)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (Horror)
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (Science Fiction)
Hiroshima by John Hershey (War)
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (Fantasy)
Jurassic Park; The Lost World by Michael Crichton (Science Fiction)
The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper (Historical)
The Lives of a Cell by Lewis Thomas (Science/Medicine)
Moonlight Becomes You and other novels by Mary Higgins Clark (Suspense)
Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally (Historical)
A Separate Peace by John Knowles (Coming of Age)
The Stand and other novels by Stephen King (Horror)
A Time to Kill; The Client by John Grisham (Thriller)
- Algebra the Easy Way, 4th edition by Douglas Downing (Barron's)
- Covers all the basics of algebra; uses a continuous story to help make learning fun.
- Algebra Success in 20 Minutes a Day, 3rd edition (LearningExpress)
- Equations, inequalities, powers, and roots—master algebra now!
- All the Math You'll Ever Need by Steve Slavin (Wiley)
- A friendly guide for those seeking to brush up on mathematics and elementary algebra.
- Essential Math: Basic Math for Everyday Use by Edward Williams and Robert A. Atkins (Barron's)
- Emphasizes math applications in selected career areas.
- Everyday Math for Dummies by Charles Seiter (IDG)
- Like other books in the For Dummies series, this one features a fun presentation that will help you conquer math anxiety.
- Geometry Success in 20 Minutes a Day, 2nd edition (LearningExpress)
- Math Builder (LearningExpress)
- Math the Easy Way, 4th edition by Anthony Prindle and Katie Prindle (Barron's)
- Covers basic arithmetic, fractions, decimals, percents,word problems, and introduces algebra and geometry.
- Math Essentials, 3rd edition (LearningExpress)
- If you have trouble with fractions, decimals, or percents, this book offers an easy, step-by-step review.
- Mathematics Made Simple, 6th edition by Tom Cusick (Made Simple)
- Targets students and others who want to improve their practical math skills.
- 1001 Math Problems (LearningExpress)
- Fast, focused practice to help you improve your math skills!
- Practical Math Success in 20 Minutes a Day, 3rd edition (LearningExpress)
- Provides review of basic math skills and easy-tofollow examples with opportunities for practice.
- Seeing Numbers (LearningExpress)
- Specifically designed for the visual learner, this book explores shapes from many different perspectives.
- 501 Algebra Questions, 2nd edition (LearningExpress)
- Covers basic to advanced algebra skills.
- 501 Geometry Questions and Answers (LearningExpress)
- Focused practice helps refine geometry skills.
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- First Grade Sight Words List
- Social Cognitive Theory
- The Homework Debate
- GED Math Practice Test 1