Current Research on All-Day Kindergarten
Will your child’s attendance in full-day kindergarten benefit her socially and academically? Get the latest research on the pros and cons of full-day programs.
What You Need to Know
Will an all-day kindergarten give your child an advantage academically? Does an all-day kindergarten program teach children the social skills they need to succeed in life? Or is it too much, too soon? These are questions most parents ponder as they make the decision to send their kids to kindergarten.
Recent research shows that parents and teachers of kids in full-day programs offer these benefits:
- A good foundation for first grade
- A more relaxed and creative atmosphere than shorter programs
- A great chance to develop social skills
- An opportunity for a strong teacher-student bond
- Greater progress in literacy, math, and general learning skills.
- More participation in child-initiated, small-group activities
- Fewer time constraints
How You Can Help
Research supports claims that there are many positive benefits for children in all-day kindergarten programs. However, no matter how long the program is, it’s important to make sure the kids get a good balance of learning and play time. Here are some tips to finding a kindergarten program in which your child will thrive:
- Take her to visit a few schools and see which ones your child likes. Allow him or her to mingle with the other kids and explore the classroom. Ask him or her what they think of the school on your drive home and encourage them to talk about any concerns they have.
- Ask the teacher to show you the curriculum. Look at how much time is scheduled for education activities and how much time is allowed for play and recreation.
- Talk to parents of children who attended the kindergarten in the last two years. Other parents can help you identify any weaknesses or strengths. Encourage them to talk about how their kids are doing in their new classrooms and find out if they think the kindergarten program had any impact on this.
For more information on all-day kindergartens, check out our full article:
Washington Virtual Academies
Tuition-free online school for Washington students.
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- The Homework Debate
- First Grade Sight Words List
- Social Cognitive Theory
- GED Math Practice Test 1