20 Steps to Getting a Good IEP
Before the Meeting
1. Chart needs of your child that affect the child’s ability to meet all of the school’s expectations for a typical student, including transition successfully after public education.
2. Examine all records relating to your child.
3. Review last year’s performance.
4. Determine if additional evaluation is needed.
5. Let the school know in writing before the IEP meeting what you want that will be different, and remind the school of their duty to reply in writing whether they will accept or refuse your proposal.
6. Make sure the proper people will be at the IEP meeting.
At the Meeting
7. Object, on the record, to procedures that discourage parental participation, and consider re-scheduling the IEP meeting.
8. Describe problems your child has that affect “educational” benefit.
9. Set goals in each problem area, with appropriate consideration of transition.
10. Select interim objectives.
11. Set evaluation schedules and criteria for each objective and goal, including the parent role in assessing effectiveness.
12. Develop the plan.
13. Determine needed related services.
14. List resources to be allocated.
15. Examine contingencies, such as absence of key personnel or disciplinary infractions.
16. Determine where the program will be carried out.
17.Remove any unnecessary restrictiveness.
18. Plan the transition component.
19. Monitor progress.
20. Prepare for the next IEP or call for the revision of the current one if there is a lack of expected progress toward the annual goals.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Bullying in Schools
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Steps in the IEP Process