Why STEM Education? (page 2)
Why STEM Education?
New Ways of Thinking
* 13% of today's workforce is over 55 and by 2020 60% will be over 55.
* Over 70 million baby boomers will retire and they will be replaced by only 48 million workers.
* The need for science, engineering and technical training will increase by 51% this year.
* If the trend continues, by 2010 more than 90% of all scientists and engineers in the world will live in Asia.
* The top 10 most in demand jobs did not exist in 2004.
* India has more honor students than we have students in America.
* Fewer than 15% of high school students in the United States have an adequate skill base in science and math to pursue scientific and technical degrees.
* More than 50% of the engineering degrees in the US are awarded to foreign nationals.
New Job Skills
* 60% of all new jobs in the 21st century will require skills possessed by only 20% of the current United States workforce.
* 21st century workplace and technical skills have become more important than land and buildings.
* Four of the 10 fastest growing industries and occupations from 2002-2012 are expected to be high tech.
* Quality Education is critical to the US's competitive placement in leading the world in innovation.
* Students have to compete globally, be more innovative, more inventive, and more efficient.
* A significant portion of our workforce finds itself in direct competition for jobs with lower-wage workers around the globe.
* Leading edge scientific and engineering work is being accomplished in many parts of the world.
* Thanks to globalization, driven by modern communication and other advances, workers in virtually every sector must now face competitors who live just a mouse-click away in Ireland, Finland, China, India and dozens of other nations whose economies are growing.
* Building skills in STEM disciplines, helps America and Idaho's students compete in the global workforce.
Add your own comment
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Graduation Inspiration: Top 10 Graduation Quotes
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- Smart Parenting During and After Divorce: Introducing Your Child to Your New Partner