Does Cold Water Boil Faster than Warm Water?
Difficulty of Project
Easily available from your kitchen
Approximate Time Required to Complete the Project
- To determine whether cold water boils faster than warm water
- To understand the implications of water temperature.
Materials and Equipment / Ingredients
- Two pots
- Warm water
- Cold water
The mpemba effect can cause hot water to freeze faster than cold water. This has led to a popular kitchen myth: that the opposite is also true. Namely, that cold water boils faster than hot water. How true is this?
- Does cold water boil faster than hot water?
Terms, Concepts and Questions to Start Background Research
- What is the mpemba effect?
- What is the ideal boiling point for water?
- How does this boiling point change in different situations?
- Take two pots.
- Fill one pot with cold water, and one pot with warm water.
- Place the pots on a stove and put them on identical heat settings.
- Time which one heats up first.
Kurtus, Ron. Mpemba Effect: When Hot Water Freezes Before Cold Water. School for Champions. Oct 30, 2002. http://www.school-for-champions.com/SCIENCE/mpemba.htm
Chaplin, Martin. Water Structure and Science. Creative Commons Attribution. http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/explan4.html
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For further information, consult your state’s handbook of Science Safety.