Grade Level: Middle School/High School; Type: Physiology
Test for correlation between perceived color and heart rate.
The goals of this project are:
- To test the effect of colors on heart rate.
- EITHER debunk the notion that colors affect heart rate
- OR Specifically detail the ways in which different colors affect heart rate.
- How are we affected by the colors we see?
- Which colors cause what kind of effects?
- How can color therapy help people improve their well-being?
It's widely known that colors can affect our moods and perceptions. This is why red signifies danger, and is also why the walls of hospitals and jails are usually painted a light, subdued green. It's assumed that colors have some effect on vital signs. In this project you will identify the degree of correlation between colors and heart rate.
- Computer with Internet access
- Color printer
- Digital camera
- Typical office/hobby/hardware/craft supplies (paper, poster board, glue, etc.).
- Carefully study the related literature (see bibliography below).
- Address all of the terms and research questions mentioned here.
- Search and print out compelling images relevant to your topic.
- Take photos throughout the course of the experiment.
- Fashion a pair of colored “glasses” for each volunteer. Use cardboard to make the frames, and colored cellophane for the lenses.
- Randomly divide volunteers into three groups of equal size.
- Using the stethoscope and stop watch, measure the heart rate (beats per minute) of each volunteer.
- Have Group 1 wear blue eye wear. Have Group 2 wear red eye wear. Have Group 3 wear yellow eye wear. All volunteers should wear their color glasses for one hour.
- Carefully remeasure the heart rate of each volunteer.
- Analyze your data.
- Explain your ideas in a detailed report.
- Include graphics, charts and diagrams in your science fair display.
Terms/Concepts: Chromotherapy; Heart rate
- http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Colors-Affect-Your-Heart-Rate&id=4466407 (Detailed article about colors and heart rate)
- http://www.therapycolor.com/ (Color Therapy)
- Internet searches of your choosing. Search words or terms listed here, or make up your own phrases. Click on any results you find interesting. Have fun surfing the net!