The Color Of Your Heartbeat
Grade Level: Middle School/High School; Type: Physiology
Test for correlation between perceived color and heart rate.
The goals of this project are:
- To test the effect of colors on heart rate.
- EITHER debunk the notion that colors affect heart rate
- OR Specifically detail the ways in which different colors affect heart rate.
- How are we affected by the colors we see?
- Which colors cause what kind of effects?
- How can color therapy help people improve their well-being?
It's widely known that colors can affect our moods and perceptions. This is why red signifies danger, and is also why the walls of hospitals and jails are usually painted a light, subdued green. It's assumed that colors have some effect on vital signs. In this project you will identify the degree of correlation between colors and heart rate.
- Computer with Internet access
- Color printer
- Digital camera
- Typical office/hobby/hardware/craft supplies (paper, poster board, glue, etc.).
- Carefully study the related literature (see bibliography below).
- Address all of the terms and research questions mentioned here.
- Search and print out compelling images relevant to your topic.
- Take photos throughout the course of the experiment.
- Fashion a pair of colored “glasses” for each volunteer. Use cardboard to make the frames, and colored cellophane for the lenses.
- Randomly divide volunteers into three groups of equal size.
- Using the stethoscope and stop watch, measure the heart rate (beats per minute) of each volunteer.
- Have Group 1 wear blue eye wear. Have Group 2 wear red eye wear. Have Group 3 wear yellow eye wear. All volunteers should wear their color glasses for one hour.
- Carefully remeasure the heart rate of each volunteer.
- Analyze your data.
- Explain your ideas in a detailed report.
- Include graphics, charts and diagrams in your science fair display.
Terms/Concepts: Chromotherapy; Heart rate
- http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Colors-Affect-Your-Heart-Rate&id=4466407 (Detailed article about colors and heart rate)
- http://www.therapycolor.com/ (Color Therapy)
- Internet searches of your choosing. Search words or terms listed here, or make up your own phrases. Click on any results you find interesting. Have fun surfing the net!
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For further information, consult your state’s handbook of Science Safety.