This experiment provides a concrete and striking illustration of photosynthesis.
Does blocking the sun from a section of grass create an imprint in the grass?
- Large piece of fabric
- Many bamboo skewers
- A patch of grass that will NOT be walked upon (This is important as stepping on the bamboo skewers could cause injury.)
- Cut the letters of a name or word (or another image, e.g. a heart, a star) out of the fabric.
- Lay the fabric letters flat on the grass spelling out the word.
- Use the bamboo skewers to pin the fabric in place.
- Wait several days.
- Remove the fabric. Is the word imprinted on the grass?
Disclaimer and Safety Precautions
Education.com provides the Science Fair Project Ideas for informational
purposes only. Education.com does not make any guarantee or representation
regarding the Science Fair Project Ideas and is not responsible or liable for
any loss or damage, directly or indirectly, caused by your use of such
information. By accessing the Science Fair Project Ideas, you waive and
renounce any claims against Education.com that arise thereof. In addition, your
access to Education.com's website and Science Fair Project Ideas is covered by
on Education.com's liability.
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all
individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea
should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental
or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all
materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For
further information, consult your state's handbook of Science Safety.