Grade Level: 1st - 5th; Type: Chemistry
To determine what kinds of candies create a soda eruption.
- What causes diet coke to erupt?
- What other kinds of candy create this effect?
It is well documented that Mentos and Diet Coke will cause an eruption of soda.This is because the surface of Mentos are covered with tiny holes or pits.This causes the bubbles in the soda to gather there, and expand far more rapidly.Are there other candies that can produce the same effect?
- Diet Coke
- Different kinds of candies
- A backyard or place outside to do the experiment
- Identify the different sorts of candies you wish to test.
- Pour diet coke into several cups.
- Go outside, so you don’t make a complete mess.
- Drop the candies into the cups.Make sure you use Mentos candy as your control.
Terms/Concepts: What is Nucleation?; When does it occur?; What kinds of candy cause nucleation?
Smith, SE.What is Nucleation?Wise Geek. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-nucleation.htm
Mythbusters: Diet Coke and Mentos.Youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjbJELjLgZg