Grade Level: 9th to 12th; Type: Social Science
Evaluate if astrological signs provide clues about people’s personalities.
How accurate are astrological predictions about character traits? Astrologers believe that the sun, moon and planets affect personality, human behavior and natural events. Many people believe that their astrological sign provides insight into their personality, while others think that astrology is an inaccurate “pseudoscience.” In this experiment, personality assessments will be given to test subjects representing all 12 signs of the zodiac to evaluate if astrological predictions about character traits really hold true.
- Reference detailing the common personality traits of each zodiac sign
- Six representatives of each zodiac sign (54 test subjects)
- Myers-Briggs personality test
- Notebook for analyzing results
- Find the Myers-Briggs personality assessment online, and give it to many different teenagers and/or adults. Make sure that you include at least 5 test subjects for each zodiac sign.
- Record the birthday, zodiac sign, and Myers-Briggs personality type of each participant.
- Look for similarities or differences in the Myers-Briggs dichotomies (extroversion/introversion; sensing/intuition; thinking/feeling; judgment/perception) among test subjects that represent each astrological sign (Scorpio, Aquarius, Gemini, Aries, Virgo, Pisces, Libra, Sagittarius, Capricorn.) Do the personalities of test subjects correlate with their predicted astrological character traits? Example: An extroverted personality is predicted in air signs (Aquarius, Libra and Gemini). What proportion of your Aquarius, Libra and Gemini test subjects are “extroverts” by Myers-Briggs assessment?
Terms/Concepts: Myers-Briggs personality test, astrology
- The Myers & Briggs Foundation. “MBTI® Basics.” Orion, R.
- Astrology for Dummies (Wiley Publishing, Inc. 2007)