Grade Level: 9th -12th; Type: Website Design
Devise a new feature that improves an existing website.
- To design an improvement for an existing website.
- To implement the new application or design feature.
- What are the most successful websites on the internet?
- What types of problems do we encounter when visiting these sites?
Even for the most successful websites, there's always room for improvement. Ebay, for instance, could have a search function in its completed listings section that shows ONLY items that actually sold. This feature would save valuable search time, and could lead to an increase in revenue. Unfortunately, this feature does not exist. This project challenges you to come up with your own original improvement for an existing website.
- Computer with Internet access
- Color printer
- Typical office/hobby/hardware/craft supplies (paper, poster board, glue, etc.).
- Read overview of relevant topics (see bibliography below and terms listed above)
- Address all of the terms and research questions mentioned here.
- Search and print out interesting images relevant to your topic.
- Select an existing website.
- Design and/or program a new or improved feature for the website.
- Create examples that illustrate your idea.
- Take necessary steps to get the website owner(s) to implement your new design feature.
- Include photos, diagrams and demonstrations in your science fair display.
Terms/Concepts: Alexa rating; Website design
- http://www.alexa.com/topsites (The top 500 websites on the Internet)
- http://ezinearticles.com/?Ten-Top-Tips-For-Website-Improvement&id=3319266 (Ideas on improving existing site design).
- Internet searches of your choosing. Search words or terms listed here, or make up your own phrases. Click on any results you find interesting. Have fun surfing the net!