You've probably heard that people make money from their websites, and perhaps you've wondered how it's done. Many people don't realize that you don't have to sell anything to make money from a website. You need only use a strategic tool known as keyword optimization. A keyword is the word or phrase typed in the tool bar when people search the net. Drawing increasing visitor traffic depends on finding a lucrative keyword for each web page you build. Ideal keywords are in high demand (many people search for them), but low supply (not many pages contain them). This project is designed to gather information about consumer tastes and preferences by performing keyword searches. The goals of this project are to learn more about internet search trends and to encourage improvements in the fields of marketing and communications.
How do websites make money without selling anything? What are the basic features of a lucrative keyword?
- Computer with Internet access
- Color printer
- Digital camera
- Typical office/hobby/hardware/craft supplies (paper, poster board, glue, etc.).
- Read overview of relevant topics (see bibliography)
- Address all of the terms and research questions mentioned here.
- Search and print out interesting images relevant to your topic.
- Take photographs throughout the course of the experiment.
- Ask a lot of people what they search for on the net.
- Do a statistical study of keywords by typing keywords of your choosing onto the tool bar,
- then recording the number of results returned for each keyword.
- Analyze your data, comparing keywords to each other.
- Come up with a list of 25 lucrative keywords.
- OPTIONAL: Build a website, using an all-inclusive site building package. Demonstrate (by example) the process of steadily increasing visitor traffic via keyword optimization. A high-quality, all-inclusive website-building software package typically costs about $300 per year.
- Interpret your findings in a detailed statistical report.
- Include graphics, diagrams and demonstrations in your science fair display.