Grade Level: 9th - 12th; Type: Programming
Design a new iPhone app.
The goals of this project are:
- To design a new or improved app for the iPhone.
- To sell the new app design to a major company.
- What is the basic format of an iPhone app?
- What makes iPhone apps so popular?
- What are some of the most successful existing iPhone apps?
- What new apps ideas have yet to be designed?
iPhone applications are so popular that Apple currently sells more than 300,000 apps from its online app store. An app can be an interactive game, a navigational device, a business software package, or just about anything else you can imagine. This project allows you to design your own iPhone app.
- Computer with Internet access
- Color printer
- Digital camera
- Typical office/hobby/hardware/craft supplies (paper, poster board, glue, etc.).
- An iPhone or SmartPhone
- Read overview of relevant topics (see bibliography below)
- Address all of the terms and research questions mentioned here.
- Search and print out interesting images relevant to your topic.
- Design your own app from scratch, OR by modifying an existing app.
- Build the app you designed.
- Have a number of people test your new app.
- Contact potential buyers and market your new app.
- Describe your new app and how it was built in a detailed report.
- Include photos, diagrams, and demonstrations in your science fair display.
Terms/Concepts: Intellectual Property; Third-party applications
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_app#Third_party_applications (The iPhone – an overview)
- http://www.apple.com/iphone/apps-for-iphone/ (List of iPhone apps).
- http://www.reigndesign.com/blog/design-an-iphone-app-in-15-minutes-then-build-and-publish-it-in-a-day/comment-page-1/ (Design an app in a single day)
- http://www.youngentrepreneur.com/blog/review/how-to-design-an-iphone-app-for-business-%E2%80%93-with-no-coding-skills/ (Business-related iPhone apps).
- Internet searches of your choosing. Search words or terms listed here, or make up your own phrases. Click on any results you find interesting. Have fun surfing the net!
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For further information, consult your state’s handbook of Science Safety.