Grade Level: 9th - 12th; Type: Architecture
Design an architectural structure using live trees. The goals of this project are:
- To explore the possibilities of live trees in architecture.
- To promote greener living.
- How are live trees used in architecture?
- How is the environment affected by the use of live trees in architecture?
- How can the existing technology be improved upon?
Using live trees in architectural design can be an eco-friendly alternative to chopping them down. In this project you will design and build your own architectural structure, using live trees as your structural foundation.
- Computer with Internet access
- Color printer
- Digital camera
- Typical office/hobby/hardware/craft supplies (paper, poster board, glue, etc.)
- Live, growing trees
- Building materials such as a tarp, canvas, wood, sheet metal or plastics.
- Construction supplies such as rope, saw, hammer, nails, etc.
All necessary materials can be found in or around your home, at local stores, or on ebay.
- Read overview of relevant topics (see bibliography below and terms listed above)
- Address all of the above terms and research questions.
- Search and print out interesting images relevant to your topic.
- Take photographs throughout the course of the experiment.
- Design and build an original scale model representing live tree architecture.
- Build a full-size version of your shelter or sculpture, using one or more live trees. Try to come up with new ideas, or improve on existing designs.
- Take necessary safety precautions when testing your creation.
- Interpret your findings in a detailed report.
Include interesting photos, diagrams and models in your science fair display.
Terms/Concepts: Arboreal Architecture; Arborsculpture
- http://www.popsci.com/jaya-jiwatram/article/2008-08/were-going-live-trees (Brief article about arborsculpture)
- http://weburbanist.com/2008/02/10/10-amazing-tree-houses-from-around-the-world-sustainable-unique-and-creative-designs/ (Images of houses built with living trees)
- http://www.livescience.com/environment/080828-living-architecture.html (Live tree home designs)
- Internet searches of your choosing. Search words or terms listed here, or make up your own phrases. Click on any results you find interesting. Have fun surfing the net!