- Adult supervision recommended when interviewing people or searching the net.
- Treat all animals with the greatest possible care and respect.
Project Time Frame
This project examines lobsters found in nature, and highlights various attempts at lobster farming.
- To provide valuable educational material about lobsters.
- To encourage the development of successful lobster farming methods and techniques.
- To further encourage the ethical treatment of animals.
Materials and Equipment
- Computer with internet access
- Color printer
- Digital camera
- Typical office/craft supplies (such as paper, pens & poster-board)
Lobsters are fascinating creatures with many interesting qualities. They are also delicious, and fetch a high price at the seafood market. In spite of this, there has yet to be a successful attempt at commercial lobster farming. This project explores the reasons for this lack of success, and suggests new and improved methods and techniques for raising lobsters without losing money.
- What are some interesting facts about lobsters?
- Why are lobsters so expensive?
- Why is commercial lobster farming unsuccessful?
- How can lobster farming methods be improved upon?
Terms and Concepts to Start Background Research
- Research related materials (see bibliography below)
- Search online, print, and carefully label related images that interest you.
- Based on your research, invent a new or improved lobster farming method or technique.
- Describe how this method would work in practice, and how it improves on existing methods.
- Design an experiment to test your new idea.
- Write a detailed report.
- Show interesting photos taken throughout the course of the project.
- Atlantic Veterinary College Lobster Science Center (All about lobsters)
- Maine Lobster Farming
- Wiki topic: “Lobsters” and “Crustacean”