Grade Level: 9th - 12th; Type: Earth Science
To investigate different microclimates in and around your home.
A climate is the average weather pattern and environmental conditions in a region. Within climates are smaller areas of differing conditions. These are referred to as microclimates. Microclimates play a role determining what plant and animal life will be present.
- What creates a microclimate?
- How do microclimates determine the plant or animal life present?
Terms to Know
- Choose 4 locations
- Two locations inside your home
- Two locations outside your home
- At each location place a thermometer for five minutes. After five minutes read the thermometer and record the temperature. Also make note of the general characteristics of the location. Place all data in Table 1.
- Consider the following:
- Was there a significant difference between temperatures of the indoor locations?
- Was there a significant difference between temperatures of the outdoor locations?
- Of the outdoor locations, was there a significant difference between the plants you found in each location?
Plant Life Present
1 2 3 4
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For further information, consult your state’s handbook of Science Safety.