Parents often wish their kids would not spend so much time playing video games. How cool would it be if a video game taught the basics of a trade or profession, without sacrificing the fun factor? This project invites you to show us how it's done.
How can one design video game that teaches a trade or profession?
- Computer with Internet access
- Color printer
- Digital camera
- Typical office/hobby/hardware/craft supplies (paper, poster board, glue, etc.).
- Video game design software
- Read overview of relevant topics (see bibliography below)
- Address all of the terms and research questions mentioned here.
- Search and print out images relevant to your topic.
- Take photographs throughout the course of the experiment.
- Select a profession such as architecture, auto repair or building construction.
- Design a video game that requires players to use some of the skills related to the profession.
- Modify a concept or existing game to make your own game design document.
- Use a game design software package to build your game.
- Ask friends to play-test your new video game.
- Write your findings in a detailed report.
- Include photos, diagrams and demonstrations in your science fair display.
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For further information, consult your state’s handbook of Science Safety.