Parents often wish their kids would not spend so much time playing video games. How cool would it be if a video game taught the basics of a trade or profession, without sacrificing the fun factor? This project invites you to show us how it's done.
How can one design video game that teaches a trade or profession?
- Computer with Internet access
- Color printer
- Digital camera
- Typical office/hobby/hardware/craft supplies (paper, poster board, glue, etc.).
- Video game design software
- Read overview of relevant topics (see bibliography below)
- Address all of the terms and research questions mentioned here.
- Search and print out images relevant to your topic.
- Take photographs throughout the course of the experiment.
- Select a profession such as architecture, auto repair or building construction.
- Design a video game that requires players to use some of the skills related to the profession.
- Modify a concept or existing game to make your own game design document.
- Use a game design software package to build your game.
- Ask friends to play-test your new video game.
- Write your findings in a detailed report.
- Include photos, diagrams and demonstrations in your science fair display.