Seeds and Needs
Will seeds grow faster with more water?
Will seeds grow faster with more sunlight?
Seeds will/will not grow faster with more water.
Seeds will/will not grow faster with more sunlight.
Packet of bean seeds
Twenty snack-size zip-lock bags
- Label ten bags from 1 to 10. Label the other ten bags 1-L to 10-L.
- Place two seeds in each bag.
- Add one tablespoon of water to bags 1 and 1-L, two tablespoons of water in bags 2 and 2-L, and so on until all the bags have water.
- Place the bags in a sunny place. Leave the bags marked with an L in the sun all the time. Leave the other bags in the sun for two hours a day.
- Compare the beans in the bags after one week. Record your observations.
Analysis and Conclusion:
What effect did the amount of water have on seed growth? What effect did the amount of sunlight have on seed growth? Do you think the seeds would grow better if they were in sunlight 24 hours a day?
Reprinted with the permission of the NEED Project. © 2008 National Energy Education Development Project - All Rights Reserved.
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For further information, consult your state’s handbook of Science Safety.