Grade Level: 4th - 6th; Type: Physical Science
In this experiment, students will learn how to tell the age of an egg without having to crack it open.
- What causes objects to float and sink?
- How do boats float?
Buoyancy is when things float or sink in a liquid. The lighter things are, the more they float. If they are heavier, they sink. In fact, boats float because of this concept.
- A large container you can use to hold some water and an egg
- Buy a dozen of fresh eggs at the store.
- Label one egg with a marker on the shell just so you will use the same egg in 2 weeks.
- Submerge this egg in a container filled with water. What happens? Jot this down.
- Save this egg (do not eat it!) an repeat the previous step in 2 weeks and in 1-2 month, what happens?
- You can do this experiment with more than one egg for accuracy.
- Record your results.
Terms/Concepts: Buoyancy; Density; Mass; Weight