What You Need:
- Several 2½-inch square pieces of cardboard
- Pens or markers
What You Do:
- Talk about the alphabet with your child, using a favorite ABC book or other visual prompt if desired.
- Write a letter on one of the cardboard tiles and invite her to do the same on another tile.
- Talk with your child about the sound her letter makes and ask her to think of some words that start with that letter.
- Invite her to draw a picture of one of those words on the back of her tile.
- Repeat the process to create a collection of alphabet tiles. You can also invite your child to create number tiles if she's interested!
- When your child is finished creating tiles, engage her with various activities that offer an opportunity to practice and build on her knowledge. You can quiz each other on the names of the letters, organize the tiles into alphabetical order, spell out simple words, look at a picture and name the beginning letter of the word, or create your own game.
These tiles can be used over and over again in a variety of entertaining and meaningful ways!