What You Need:
- 2 long nails
- Small, thin wood strip
- Piece of wood approximately 4” by 3”
- Large flat rubber band
- Piece of sandpaper
- Wading pool, bathtub or other body of water
What You Do:
- If necessary, sand your wood scraps until they are smooth.
- Have your child hold the 4" by 3" piece of wood for you.
- Carefully, hammer the nails into one end of the wood piece, spacing them as widely apart as possible.
- Ask your child to thread the rubber band over the nails so that it loops over each nail twice.
- Have your child place the small wood strip between the two lengths of rubber band. Make sure that it extends beyond the ends of the nails.
- Have your child turn the small wood strip (the paddle) to wind the rubber band tightly.
- Invite your child to release her boat and watch it churn through the water!
Encourage your child to design a fleet of boats! She can paint them different colors and enlist helpers to put on a race.