What You Need:
- 5 colorful fruits such as: blueberries, strawberries, melon, kiwis, mango, etc., at least 10 pieces of each
- 5 small bowls
- 1 large bowl
- Tray or cutting board
What You Do:
- After you've cut and prepared the fruit, lay it all on a tray or cutting board and place it in front of your child. See how many different fruits she can recognize and name.
- Encourage her to separate each fruit into different bowls. Explain that the recipe requires ten pieces of each fruit. Can she help you make sure you have the right amount?
- When all the fruits are separated, talk to her about the different colors in each fruit. What different colors can she see? Are there any colors that are the same? Explain to her that each different color represents a different nutrient that our bodies need.
- Now, encourage her to pour each fruit into the big bowl, and help her mix everything together. Voila! She's made a delicious fruit salad.
When you're all done, don't forget to give the fruit salad a try. After all that counting and sorting, your child deserves a yummy treat.