What You Need:
- Deck of cards with the face cards (jacks, queens, and kings) removed
What You Do:
- Shuffle of the cards and place them face down on a flat surface.
- Tell her that aces = 1.
- Have her take two cards off the top of the deck and place them face up, side by side.
- Ask her to read the numbers created by both of the cards aloud. Example: If a 3 is next to a 6, she would read, "thirty-six.”
- If she combines them correctly, she gets to keep both cards. If not, she must return them to the deck.
- Continue playing until your child has all of the cards.
- If she’s good at quickly combining two cards, challenge her by having her select three, or even four cards.
Up for a little competition? This game can just as easily be played with two or more players. Have the kids race to say the number correctly. The first player to call out the number correctly gets to collect the cards. The player who ends up with the most cards at the end of the game wins.