What You Need:
- Masking tape, chalk, or 2 jump ropes
What You Do:
- Using the masking tape, chalk, or jump ropes, mark two parallel lines about 10 to 15 feet apart. The space outside of these lines is designated as the “safety zones.”
- Stand facing your child in the center of the space marked by the lines.
- Take turns tapping each other on the shoulder, saying either “duck” or “goose.”
- Nothing happens with the word “duck.” But when one of you says, “goose,” that player has to turn around and run toward her safety zone, with the other player chasing her.
- If the second player tags her before she gets to the safety zone, when you both return to the center, that partner gets to start the next round.
- If the chasing player is unable to tag the player who said “goose” before she reaches the safety zone, the chasing player gets to start the next round when they return to the center.
This game helps develop listening skills, while offering practice in running and chasing and providing moderate- to vigorous-intensity physical activity!