What You Need:
• Deck of cards with the face cards (jacks, queens, and kings) removed
What You Do:
- Ask your child to shuffle the deck of cards. Let her know that for the purposes of the game aces = 1.
- Have her deal 9 cards face up in a 3 x 3 square. The remaining deck should be face down on the table.
- Have her cover face cards that she dealt by placing fresh cards from the deck face up right on top of them.
- Ask her to look for any combinations of cards that add up to 11. When she recognizes a combination, have her remove those two cards from the deck and replace them with new cards.
- Continue until all cards are used. If there aren't any cards that create 11, take all 9 cards amd shuffle them back into the deck. Then, lay out a new group of 9 cards.
- Try the same game creating sums of 10 or 12. Try assigning numbers to the face cards and include them in later rounds.